Sunday, November 16, 2014

In Times of Trouble


A scripture story that I cling to in times of trouble comes from Mosiah 23 and 24  in the Book of Mormon.  The story is about a group of people have joined the church of God and had to flee from their homes or be killed.  They are doing their best to start a new city to build a life for themselves. 
Mosiah 23:21 "Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people: yea, he trieth their patience and their faith"

Then their long time enemies who are called the Lamanities come to their new city. "But Alma went forth and stood among them, and exhorted them that they should not be frightened but that they should remember the Lord their God and he would deliver them. Therefore they hushed their fears, and began to cry unto the Lord that he would soften the hearts of the Lamanites, and they would spare them, and their wives, and their children." (Mosiah 23:27-28) The Christian people have not done anything wrong, but yet God wanted to try their faith and see if they would be faithful in the face of trial.

The Lamanites enslave the Christians and give them heavy burdens to carry. They also threaten to kill anyone who prayed vocally. The faithful people prayed within their hearts. God heard and answered their prayer. (Mosiah 24:13) "And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God do visit my people in their afflictions". 

My faith is strengthened by the people's response to the Lord and that the Lord kept His promise. "And now it came to pass that the burdens which which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bare up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord" (Mosiah 24:15).

Later the people are freed. 

From this story I learn that sometimes trials come not because I have done anything wrong, but that I need learn something and strengthen my faith. The Lamanites that enslaved the Christians can represent a wide variety of things- loss of a job, sickness, depression, or lost opportunities. God did not immediately save them from their trial, instead He gave them the strength to bear it. I have felt strengthened by God while Randy was away. Its difficult to describe the feeling, it felt as if someone was helping me carry all the responsibility and loneliness that came with Randy being away.
As with the Christians in the story, God always provides a way to escape trials. Sometimes it can take a long time to appear, but it always comes. I can follow the example of those faithful Christians and turn to God in times of trouble instead of turning away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment