Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Memories of Grandma Sheets

Where to begin...

My Grandma Sheets has been a constant part of my life. I can't remember a time when her smile was not familiar to me even though we lived across the country and sometimes the ocean.

I have decided not to use third person in describing Grandma as she isn't really gone, she just off doing what she does best- serving others and the Lord.

She is quick to smile and willing to listen to the ramblings and frustrations of a 13 year old girl.
Some time after we moved from Utah to Albuquerque in 2012 my mom enrolled me in dance lessons. I had danced for about 6 years, but then quit after we moved to New Mexico. My first lesson was taught by a girl younger and shorter then me and I felt super awkward so instead I 'ran away' (with permission) to Payson to spend part of the summer with Grandma and Grandpa. I felt special being the only grand kid there and had my grandparents full attention. Grandma taught me about gardening and healthy eating and Grandpa took me horseback riding.

Since that time as a young teenager I have often called upon my Grandma to hear my woes and for her loving but sound advice.

For one of my personal progress projects for church I decided to work on my family history. Grandma was instrumental in helping me with that project. She took me to the family history center near their home. She also went through her own documents to find stories and memories of her ancestors to share with me. 

Before I started at BYU-I, I asked my grandma for any quick, easy, and healthy recipes or snacks she would recommend. She put a binder together for me full of her go-to recipes and she bought several packages of nuts so I could put together a trail mix similar to the one that my grandparents always have around.

She makes the BEST wheat pancakes. I've tried to duplicate them, but to no avail. About a week ago I dreamed about Grandma and one of the things I asked her in the dream was how to make her pancakes so good. Although the food she prepared was not considered 'fancy' (except for her amazing pies) everything always tasted delicious. I love Harper's Homemade bread and she would always make sure to have a loaf on hand whenever I came to visit.

During my summer trips to Payson Utah, I accompanied my grandparents many times to the soup kitchen. I always had a great time working side by side with them and watching what it meant to truly care for others. 

Grandma is one of those people you can't but help feel loved and important when you are around her.

Grandma I miss you and I will love you forever. 

As I remember more moments with Grandma I will add them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment