Monday, June 12, 2017

Our Baby Girl!


Getting all of my thoughts together about our newest addition has been quite a challenge.

My last official day of work was March 31st, but I did go in for a half day the following week. I was hoping to be able to work right up until my contractions started, but I was so big and uncomfortable it became impossible. It was an adjustment to being at home and not being able to do much. My mom came over several times and we went on slow walks.

In April, our family was blessed with the long awaited arrival of our baby girl. Her due date came and went. The day I was supposed to be induced she decided to make her entrance. My labor experience was wonderful and a hundred times better then I ever imagined. A big part of that was the epidural as I felt almost zero pain and I was surrounded by Randy, my mom, and Chantel. After 15 hours of labor and and 1.5 hours of pushing, our darling baby girl was here. We both experienced mild complications. We spent two nights in the hospital then we came home Thursday afternoon.



Randy was able to take two weeks off when Roo was born. It was wonderful having him around. He has been a great support to me, reminding me that Roo is the most important thing and everything else can wait. My mom, Chantel, and some close friends came over often to help me and give me break.

One of my favorite parts of becoming a mom, has been watching Randy take on his role as father. He has transitioned into this new role with so much love and tenderness for his daughter. I knew he would be a great dad since we started dating.

It was hard getting used to sitting on the same couch cushion all day long. I watched so much TV (something that is out of character for me) because I needed something to do while constantly nursing and pumping.

Breastfeeding has been a real struggle. My milk production is finally somewhat improving (8 plus weeks later) thanks to time, pumping (so much pumping), and supplements. We had to start supplementing Roo with formula after week one because she had lost almost 10% of her body weight. We have gone to the pediatrician multiple times for weight checks and so far she has been improving. I was also told to feed her every 2-3 hours day and night. That was so hard. She was a super sleepy newborn and it took great effort to get her to wake up to eat (think ice packs on her feet and belly would not wake her up). Sometimes it would take over an hour to get her to eat anything. By the time I had fed her, pumped, took a breath, it would be time to feed her again. Night time was especially hard because I was exhausted and trying to wake her up to nurse then take a bottle. I finally gave up on that when I would turn off my alarm and fall back asleep without any memory of doing so. Roo will wake up when she is hungry. Now she sleeps for about 4-5 hours then wakes up to eat. Then sleeps for another 3-4 hours. She actually slept through the night once.

I started back at work last Wednesday. My employers and coworkers have been incredibly supportive throughout my entire pregnancy and maternity leave. For the last month or so of pregnancy they scheduled longer appointments for me as well let me go home earlier. They also sent flowers, gifts, and allowed me to come back to work slowly. For June, I am working only half days. Big thank you to my mom for watching Roo this month for me.

Our lives have changed dramatically, but I wouldn't have it any other day. If feels like Roo has always been with us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment