Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Interview Day!!!

Today was the big day! Today I had 30 minutes to convince three doctors that I was a perfect fit for the Washington State University veterinarian program. Yesterday I went to a pizza mixer where interviewees had the chance to meet each other and current students. I was nervous when I first arrived, but soon found people to talk to. I met Charlie, a 31 year old red tail hawk. The oldest living red tail hawk. Everyone was very friendly and willing to talk and answer questions. When I arrived for my interview this morning, I was greeted by a recruiter, two friendly dogs, a bowl of candy, and huge plate of chocolate cherry cookies. Once the recruiter left two 3rd year students came in to talk to us, the left and two academic advisors came in and introduced themselves. Soon after Dr. Potter came to take me to my interview. I really liked that we were never left alone to sit and think about how nervous we were.
I felt like the interview went well.....well I felt good about it when I went out of the room. The doctors were very nice and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Some of the questions I was asked include-

Do you know what the starting salary of veterinarian graduate is? Do you know what the debt to income ratio is for graduate? How do you plan to handle the finances?
Do you have any pets?
What do you like to do for fun?
Tell of a difficult undergraduate class and what your study habits were
What is your opinion of using live animals for teaching and research purposes
There is a 24 year old mare with laminitis (a painful condition in the feet). You have done everything to try to improve her condition, but nothing has worked. How do you council the family that includes a 14 year old girl?

After they were through with their questions they gave me some time to ask them. My first question was why did you decide to become a teacher. My second question was why did you decide to come to WSU.

After my interview, I met Randy for his interview. We met with Dr. Shipley, who is a wildlife biologist, to see if she had a job or graduate position to offer Randy.  She could not offer him anything currently, but she did tell him of possibly future projects if the funding came through and of other professors that might be able to offer him something.

After his interview we went back to the hotel so I could change back into normal clothes and to check out. We then headed back up to the Vet school to meet Gabi, a 2nd year vet student, for a quick tour of the school and the hospital. (Gabi is my sister-in-law's good friend). Being able to enter the hospital as a first year vet student is something that sets WSU apart. At many vet schools the students don't enter the hospital until their 4th and final year of school.

We drove back home later that day. I will hear in two weeks if I get an offer or not.

2 comments: