A while ago I was looking around the LDS.org website when I came across this talk entitled "The Atonement can Secure your Peace and Happiness". I found this at a time when I was perplexed about the direction my life needed to go and why my life seemed to be difficult when my fellow peers seemed to have all of their ducks in a neat little row. After reading this I was reminded that my Heavenly Father knows me, is aware of me, and loves me. Challenges are for my benefit and growth and should be embraced instead of shunned. Finding joy is the main course of life, not just a small side dish. The excerpt that I choose from the address really honed in on this principle.
“The challenges you face, the growth experiences you encounter, are intended to be temporary scenes played out on the stage of a life of continuing peace and happiness. Sadness, heartache, and disappointment are events in life. It is not intended that they be the substance of life. I do not minimize how hard some of these events can be. When the lesson you are to learn is very important, trials can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining focus of everything you do. Your life can and should be wondrously rewarding. It is your understanding and application of the laws of God that will give your life glorious purpose as you ascend and conquer the difficulties of life. That perspective keeps challenges confined to their proper place—stepping-stones to further growth and attainment.”
-Elder Richard G. Scott (2006 General Conference)
Thanks for sharing Raquel! I really enjoyed reading this, it really brings life's challenges into perspective.
ReplyDelete