Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Shannon's Visit!!!

This last weekend my awesome sister-in-law, Shannon, came home for Spring Break. She is a second year vet student from WSU and will be my saving grace once I start school. She came home on Saturday and that afternoon Shannon, mom, Randy, and I went for a ride.

Randy is on his horse Montana, Shannon is riding her horse Tie (the one in the middle), and mom is on Sax, Shannon's other horse. We rode up and down the hill and around the hay field. This was the first time in over a year Randy and I were able to ride together and actually it was the first time I saw him ride his horse.

When we neared the top of the hill Sax decided to get upset about something, and so the rest of the horses decided that they better hurry up the hill (to put it gently). Luckily no one was unloaded and we continued on our little trail ride. The picture to the left was taken on the top of the hill once everyone settled down. My horse is named Tag - he is such a ham -sticking his tongue out at the camera.







After we returned to the barn mom, Shannon, and I rode around a little bit more around the barnyard. However Montana had other ideas..

Randy picked up a stick and offered it to Randy and this was Montana's idea. He held it in his mouth for a few minutes before dropping it.


Shannon has a tiny (like four pounds tiny) little papillon named Guimauve (its French for marshmallow) affectionately known as G-Man. He has quite a personality. When he comes to visit, McGee who is the papillon who lives here, gets depressed. It is pathetic, his ears which are usually up and alert are down and droopy. Its so pathetic that I can't help but laugh.

Randy is bookended by pappies!! McGee is the tri-colored one on the left and Guimauve is the black on the right.


                                                                   Currently Guimauve has a staph infection on his skin. He has to get a bath a every few days.











On Monday mom, Shannon, and I trimmed goat feet. Until we moved here I didn't know you had to trim goats' feet. There are 11 goats. Seven of those belong to the same family as Belle does. On a side note, we put our two does in with our friend's buck and are hoping to have baby goats in a few months!!! Goats that do not live on hard ground need to have their feet trimmed about once every 6-8 weeks depending on the goat. 5 of the goats need to their feet done again in 4 weeks because we are reshaping their feet. They are supposed to put more weight on their toes, but these goats have rocked back on their heels. We can't just cut off a bunch of heel because they will bleed, so we have to make gradual changes. Grandpa built us a fancy little goat stand that makes it much easier to trim their feet.

This is Aries. 

 Me trimming Athena. She is one of the two we are hoping is now pregnant. 

A few of the nubians that belong to our friends. The black and white one in the back is Painty, the little cream one is Precious, and the other one is Frosty. 

Shannon with Bucky, the buck (aren't we creative). For those of you that have never been around a buck- they stink. I mean really really REALLY stink.  Earlier that day Shannon got a hair cut, this is what she does after getting all dolled up... mess with stinky goats. :D a girl after my own heart. 

I love it when Shannon comes to visit. She is been exceptionally helpful in reassuring my fears about school and getting me excited about our upcoming adventure. I can't wait for her to come home again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment