Sunday, September 30, 2012

Be Still My Soul

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"  - Philippians 4:7

During the last few weeks I have felt this peace that Paul described in this verse from the New Testament. It is a feeling that conveys that I am doing what my Heavenly Father wants me to do and I have faith and hope in His plan for me. Although we are facing challenges, I have felt peace both in my mind and in my heart. However this most recent week, this feeling of hope and love has been absent. As I look back on my week, some of the reasons why are becoming clear. Before school started I made a goal to study the scriptures for 15 minutes every morning before school starts. For the most part I have been successful, however recently I have felt my resolve weakening. When I have failed to start my day with my scripture study, my attitude and outlook on the day never seem to be as optimistic or cheerful as they have been other days. None of this happens instantaneously, but little by little- I find myself getting frustrated with others, including myself, more easily. Therefore I have renewed my goal and I believe that this will restore this empty feeling in my heart and give me strength to overcome the new challenges that have arisen.

Last night was the General Relief Society Broadcast. It was incredible! (Here is the link to view the conference) The messages seemed to be tailored directly to my needs. I was reminded that God does love me as does His son Jesus Christ and they are very aware of my needs. Sometimes trials are given to me because Raquel needs to learn something about Raquel. By trusting in the Atonement of Jesus Christ my burdens will be lifted, they may not be removed, but I will be able to bear them and use them to draw me closer to Christ. If I allow them to, my challenges will refine me as as a fire to remove all of my weaknesses until I become the daughter of God I was intended to become. But this is a choice- I can choice to allow this cleansing process to occur or I can fight it until I become something bitter, hardened, and unattractive.

About two years ago I was working through a similar trial of my faith. During a particularly difficult time I turned to hymns often for much needed comfort. I would like to quote one of the verses (verse 1) that sustained me through that time from the hymn 'Be Still My Soul'.

Be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. 
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still my soul: thy best thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end

As difficult and soul stretching as that experience was, I am grateful for the things I learned. With this new challenge I look back on my past and am strengthened in my knowledge that God did not forsake me then and He will not forsake me now. I have no idea how we will overcome this challenge but I have faith that doors will be opened, inspiration to know what to do will come, and the will of God for Randy and I will be done. I now focus on the second verse of the same song.

Be still my soul: Thy God doth undertake 
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still my soul: the wave and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while dwelt below


And finally I want to add a scripture that has provided me a great deal of strength- 'Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thin own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths"     - Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment: